[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] disabling digest mode

The Wanderer inverseparadox
Thu Jun 7 22:51:06 CEST 2007

Nicolas George wrote:

> Le nonidi 19 prairial, an CCXV, Ronald S. Bultje a ?crit :
>
>> Don't say newsgroups, they are not functionally the same as digests
>> (similar to poll- vs notify-based programming approaches).
>
> Do you have your own MTA?
>
> If you do not (or you do not use it for your own mail?), then mail
> and newsgroups are functionally the same: both are pull and not push.

But mail is "go out to one single place to get messages of all types,
and get them all at once", whereas newsgroups - or, worse, Web fora and
the like - are "go out to a different place to get messages of each
type, and get each message separately". Newsgroups can at least be
presented somewhat conveniently by most news clients, but Web-based
systems do not have even that advantage.

This is why I do not follow Web fora, and am close to a thousand posts
behind on my various newsgroups, but catch up with the mailing lists I
read on a daily basis.

> My opinion in this matter (although, with my 3-lines patch to ffmpeg,
> I am not probably entitled to give it) is that the best solution
> would be to reject answers to digests, but that if this feature is
> missing, disabling digest mode is acceptable.

For the nothing it's worth, I concur.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.