[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg "developers conference"

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Tue Jun 19 10:01:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 6/19/07, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:31:00AM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> > --
> > Subversion has been the most pointless project ever started
> >   -- Linus Torvalds
>
> That is the stupidest quote I've seen in signatures for a long time.

I never said that all quotes I put on my signature were things I agree
with. I don't see why only smart quotes (which make people look smart)
should be preferred against dumb quotes (who make people look dumb).

What I think about subversion is that from a user point of view, SVN
is a step on the right direction because it fixes the important
problems with CVS. However, from an admin point of view, SVN is really
poorly designed: each time a branch is created, the _whole_ repository
is duplicated, which makes branches un-usable when you have a finite
amount of data you are able to backup.

CVS, with its file-based history, doesn't suffer from this explosion
of the repository's size when you create a branch.

To put it in a nutshell, if you neglect the backup constrains and
don't do branches (like MPlayer and FFmpeg do), SVN works quite well.

> (I don't know the context so this is not a statement about Linus.)

To get the full context, watch the video here:
http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2007/05/linus-torvalds-on-git-and-scm.html

Guillaume