[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg "developers conference"

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Tue Jun 19 13:31:20 CEST 2007

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:00:20 +0200
Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:

> > That would suit me too.
>
> Me too.

That would obviously suits me :-)

> >> You seem to be under the impression that there will be no central
> >> repository with git.  This is wrong.
> >
> > Of course there will still be a central repository if/when we move to
> > git.
>
> What prevents us from moving to git currently? I can migrate swscale to
> ffmpeg quite easly if that was the problem, the recipe is simple:
>
> import mplayer to git, import ffmpeg to git.
>
> in mplayer make a branch and remove everything that isn't libswscale,
> prune to clean up and commit this change.
>
> in ffmpeg make a branch and git pull the libswscale-only branch from the
> mplayer repo.
>
> Commit the change.
>
> That's all, the story is preserved and ffmpeg has a coherent tree.

I guess this would be good enough, but this wouldn't really preserve
history. With such a repository, if you checkout a one month old
revision you will get ffmpeg without the libswscale directory :-(
I think the right way to do it would be to follow your proposition
up to the revision where the svn:external was added, and then
import the revisions from both repositories interleaved.
But I won't insist on this and your proposition is good enough
for me.

Aurel