[Ffmpeg-devel] Real-time mpegts encoding and streaming

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Fri Mar 2 23:29:18 CET 2007

Hi Brian,

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 16:16 -0600, Brian Brice wrote:
[...]
> > Now, we only need someone implementing correct audio/video
> > interleaving ;-)
>
> It also needs correct PCR calculations.  HDV cameras use transport
> stream, and they are *really* strict when it comes to PCR.  Encoding
> a transport stream from ffmpeg and sending that to cam doesn't work at
> all.
Are you really sure about this? I mean: are you sure that the problem is
the PCR? I do not doubt that a TS produced by ffmpeg is not good for HDV
cameras, but I suspect the real problem is audio-video interleaving. Do
you have some of such hardware for performing tests? If yes, can I send
you a dirty patch for testing?

I've been told many times about how important the PCR is... But when I
performed some real experiments on real hardware, I noticed that almost
all the DVB-S and DVB-T set-top-boxes do not use the PCR at all... They
just look at the audio PTS, and use it as a sort of reference clock.

But I never tried HD hardware... Maybe the high bitrate needed by HD
forces to use the PCR instead of the audio PTS?

			Thanks,
				Luca