[Ffmpeg-devel] Matroska Muxer as Google SoC task

Steve Lhomme slhomme
Sun Mar 4 17:09:53 CET 2007

Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 15:05:33 +0100
> Steve Lhomme <slhomme at corecodec.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> At matroska we're often asked for a matroska writer in various apps. And
>> we can't provide code for each and every app (unless the people do the
>> integration part themself). So we are wondering if you would accept a
>> Matroska Muxer task in FFMPEG for the next summer. I don't know if you
>> have plans to be at SoC, but if you do that would make a lot of people
>> happy.
>
> We have plans to be at SoC, and a matroska muxer project was already
> proposed. It seems the idea is getting more and more popular.

Good :)

>> I volunteer to monitor the guy who would do it to answer all questions
>> about matroska and check the code for compliancy. As I'm not a FFMPEG
>> maintainer or anything maybe I don't qualify for that task, but then I
>> could assist someone else.
>
> I already volunteered for the task, but I guess you could help me
> in regards to mkv specs questions.

Sure, more brains should make a better result.

>> There's already a muxer written in C by Haali that is used in x264. That
>> code could be reused and enhanced to fit more use cases in FFMPEG. So
>> most of the basis would be done already.
>
> What license ? It seems to be GPL ?
> LGPL would be prefered for ffmpeg.

Here is Haali's answer:

<Haali> use whatever you like
<Haali> but they changed copyright to x264 project or something too
<Haali> dunno if it might be problematic
<Haali> public domain or whatever
<Haali> there is no point to copyright 10KB of C code

So I guess LGPL like the rest of (most of) FFMPEG.

Steve