[Ffmpeg-devel] Matroska Muxer as Google SoC task

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Sun Mar 4 16:09:19 CET 2007

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 15:05:33 +0100
Steve Lhomme <slhomme at corecodec.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> At matroska we're often asked for a matroska writer in various apps. And
> we can't provide code for each and every app (unless the people do the
> integration part themself). So we are wondering if you would accept a
> Matroska Muxer task in FFMPEG for the next summer. I don't know if you
> have plans to be at SoC, but if you do that would make a lot of people
> happy.

We have plans to be at SoC, and a matroska muxer project was already
proposed. It seems the idea is getting more and more popular.

> I volunteer to monitor the guy who would do it to answer all questions
> about matroska and check the code for compliancy. As I'm not a FFMPEG
> maintainer or anything maybe I don't qualify for that task, but then I
> could assist someone else.

I already volunteered for the task, but I guess you could help me
in regards to mkv specs questions.

> There's already a muxer written in C by Haali that is used in x264. That
> code could be reused and enhanced to fit more use cases in FFMPEG. So
> most of the basis would be done already.

What license ? It seems to be GPL ?
LGPL would be prefered for ffmpeg.

Aurel