[Ffmpeg-devel] ffserver/ffmpeg Live Video: Anyone get it to work with sound?

Piero Bugoni crboca32
Fri Mar 9 17:04:34 CET 2007

--- Luca Abeni <lucabe72 at email.it> wrote:

> Piero, to check if your audio input is working,
> first try to capture
> some audio and video with the ffmpeg program:
> ffmpeg -f audio_device -i /dev/dsp -f video4linux2
> -i /dev/video0 /tmp/out.mpg
> or something similar, look at the documentation (you
> can use "-f
> video4linux" if you prefer).

I am able to record videos to disk with sound just
fine. I am trying to do a live stream with sound and
video. So far, video works fine. I was hoping someone
had already had success with this so that I could put
it to work, but also, since I am doing documentation,
I wanted to provide some known good usage examples.

> I had both video4linux and video4linux2 working
> together with audio (in
> some systems, video4linux can drop a lot of video
> frames, but
> video4linux2 always works).

This is good to know. I think I noticed the
frame-dropping you are talking about. That may explain
it.

> > It might be a good idea implementing capture from
> ALSA.
> I have a half-implemented input/output format for
> ALSA (it is
> incomplete, but it works). I think I already posted
> it in the past, but
> I could be wrong. If someone is interested, I'll
> send it this evening.

Yes, by all means. Again, if for no other reason but
to  include it in documentation as a potential
solution.

Thanks.

Piero.