[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] Compilation failure when using --disable-opts

Måns Rullgård mans
Thu Mar 15 01:44:03 CET 2007

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> Hi
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:13:07AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>>
>> > Hi

>> > [...]
>> >
>> > the tests should be run on x86_64 too
>>
>> Care to explain?
>
> well if the x86 code is put under a CONFIG_EBX which is never set
> for x86_64 then you practically disable it for x86_64, not nice ...

What I meant was, is ebx ever reserved the same way on x86_64?  With 8
more registers, it seem to me there should be enough for both a frame
pointer and whatever registers the inline asm needs.  Even if ebx is
reserved, some other register could be used by the assembler code.

>> Does the same test even work at all on x86_64?
>
> why not?

Some things are done differently on x86_64.  I didn't know, and still
don't, whether the stack/frame pointer is one of them.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com