[Ffmpeg-devel] alsa input / output

Rich Felker dalias
Thu Mar 22 04:41:16 CET 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 07:25:49PM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> > > Anyway I don't think you can get more from mp3 sample than what mad
> > > gives to you.
> >
> > Any half-decent mp3 decoder will give the correct decoded samples.
>
> correct.. huh? Have I missed something, there are reference "most
> correct" mp3 encoder and decoder?

There's a spec for the exact (infinite precision) decoding. A
perfectly correct decoder will match this with correct rounding to
whatever finite precision it uses. However, ?1 errors in 16bit samples
will be inaudible (at worst, on the order of -40dB), even if
systematic. So a naively 'correct' decoder should suffice for most
real world situations. You surely won't hear anything wrong unless
your file plays huge games with dynamic range, and even then I think
it's unlikely.

Rich