[Ffmpeg-devel] alsa input / output

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Mar 24 20:46:57 CET 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 02:17:58PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> as long as it's the lock-free thing, this sounds good! but is there
> really such a thing as lock-free in this age where broken cpus like
> ppc allow memory writes to take place in any order unless you insert
> mem barriers? (and gcc is too broken to insert mem barriers itself
> when you use the volatile keyword...)

Hm... is this really an issue? It can only be a problem with SMP or
multicore systems, and even there I would hope the write reordering only
concerns the main memory, not the caches and cache coherency...
Someone have details on what kind of reordering these CPUs are actually
doing?

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger