[Ffmpeg-devel] Embedded preview vhook/voutfb.so /dev/fb

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Tue Mar 27 20:56:21 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 20:10 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> and most important we played this rewrite the filter system from scratch
> game since _YEARS_ both in ffmpeg and mplayer with not a single line of
> code coming out of it. its time for thouse who want their supperior
> filter system to start coding instead of blocking efforts to improve
> the situation with unspecific claims that it could be done better

Nobody has implemented a better filter system, but it seems that few
people have been working on filters at all. There hasn't been much
activity within the existing MPlayer filter system either, and MEncoder
(primary user of nontrivial filter chains) has been mostly abandoned.

So it seems quite possible that nobody will write a better system in the
near future, but the primary reason for that is that nobody is working
on filters using any system whatsoever. If there will be work done on
filters then IMO it's worth spending some of that to fix/improve the
system.

> iam sure the crashes in libmpcodecs can be fixed, iam sure its trivial
> to write a simplified 1-in-1-out and local style filter wrapers on top
> of libmpcodes as proposed so wheres the advantage of not using libmpcodecs
> and how can that advantage actually be reached that is without inroducing
> a heap of other problems

Starting from current MPlayer filters and filter system might be better
than starting from scratch. However it could be improved significantly,
and modifying the API is harder if all the dozens of filters are always
kept in sync with every API change. Picking some subset of commonly used
or representative filters and improving the API for those first might be
easier. The rest could either be converted later or handled through a
wrapper.

Another question is whether it's better to first improve the filter
system in MPlayer or copy it to FFmpeg before changing anything (and
then use the copied version in MPlayer or not?).