[Ffmpeg-devel] Listing suitable codec for each format

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Mar 30 13:28:35 CEST 2007

Hi

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 06:18:18AM +0100, Dean Bender wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First, I'm new to the ffmpeg API and I'm surprised that the
> documentation is very lacking. I wish I can help in some areas when I
> have more time this summer.
>
> Now let's get to my problem. I'm trying to use ffmpeg as the AV
> encoder in a modified quake3 source code. I've figured out how to use
> the encoding component using libavcodec/libavformat. Now I'm trying to
> automate things, by detecting if the user-specified codec and format
> are a good match (not all codecs can be used with any formats right ?)
> I looked at the ffmpeg's doxygen and saw that there is an AVCodecTag
> ** codec_tag that sounds exactly like what I need for what I'm trying
> to do. However I'm stumped now because the array isn't filled in for
> every single formats. I have attached the code I'm using to get the

well, send a patch which fills it in for every single format ...

> codec_tag array and list them.
>
> One more thing, why is the AVCodecTag declared as a struct member for
> AVOutputFormat, but only defined in riff.c ? It seems to be so
> illogical to me. Please explain to me, thanks.

well we dont want people to directly access it because if they do we
cant change the struct anymore without breaking compatibility

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway