[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Listing suitable codec for each format

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Mar 31 10:35:39 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 06:15:15PM +0100, Dean Bender wrote:
[...]
> >> FFmpeg does not provide any tables to identify which codecs a
> >> container supports. :(
> >
> >it does see AVOutputFormat.codec_tag but as the original poster
> >already noticed its not filled in for most muxers
> >

> Any chance this can be improved in the future ? I might do it this
> summer if I have the info on what codec fits a format and what
> doesn't. It's not really hard to do it seems.

Well, when is a codec considered "supported"? When it is playable with
MPlayer? With ffplay? With the "native" player for the format (which one
would that be for Matroska?)? With or without extra codec packs/demuxers
in case of windows players? If yes, you probably can make most windows
players support anything. In the case of Matroska or mov, only those
formats that are in some spec, or also those that might be in common
use? Also when it is muxed in a way that is commonly playable but
considered broken by whoever develops the format?
Or is it supposed to be more a "know good" than "supported" list?

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger