[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier
Wed May 9 15:35:21 CEST 2007

Hi,

Le 9 mai 07 ? 14:58, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :

> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:23:20AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Le 9 mai 07 ? 02:51, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> i would like to change ffmpeg from svn to git
>>>

>> Yeah, it certainly seems to be smarter than SVN in most ways. After
>> all, the migration to SVN happened with the death of MPHQ1, so there
>> hasn't been a thoughough discussion about the pros and cons of SVN.
>
> are you complaining against the cvs->svn move? :)

Not "really". SVN was the obvious choice to solve the problems we had
with CVS... but it created other problems that CVS hadn't.
Since the migration was done in a sort of a hurry to bring a
versioning system back online, people were more interested in being
able to merge all their local changes than discussing the pros and
cons of this or that code versioning system.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd be happy if the new versioning system
allowed me to do local/offline commits inside my local checkout so
that I can make incremental changes to my code without having to
formally check-in my code to the main repository.
People may say that I can just install my own SVN server, but I'd
just be happier of the versioning system had that feature built-in.

I haven't followed closely the latest discussions about GIT, but I
think I read that such feature existed in GIT, so if that's the case,
then it's another good reason to use GIT I'd say. :-)

>>> disadvantages:
>>> * blame/annotate behave somewhat different and is slower if used
>>> with
>>>   some options like -C -C
>>>
>>> * all the web interfaces to git ive seen suck, nothing looks
>>> remotely
>>>   as sane as viewvc
>>>
>>> * are there more? probably, comments welcome
>>
>> One thing that seems important for me is to make sure that GIT
>> clients exist on other OS than just Linux. Last time I heard (a long
>> time ago), GIT had only Linux clients, but my memory is quite fuzzy,
>
> yes, i agree its important that git clients exist on all major OSs
> that is mac osx, freebsd, linux, mingw or cygwin
>
> for mingw see http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mingw.git

Apparently, it's still a bit far from being usable by Joe-six-pack,
but let's hope it'll only get better.... :-)

Guillaume