[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Wed May 9 15:45:33 CEST 2007

Hi,

Guillaume Poirier schreef:
> Le 9 mai 07 ? 14:58, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
>
>> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:23:20AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
>>
>>> Le 9 mai 07 ? 02:51, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :

>>> Yeah, it certainly seems to be smarter than SVN in most ways. After
>>> all, the migration to SVN happened with the death of MPHQ1, so there
>>> hasn't been a thoughough discussion about the pros and cons of SVN.
>>>
>> are you complaining against the cvs->svn move? :)
>>

> Not "really". SVN was the obvious choice to solve the problems we had
> with CVS... but it created other problems that CVS hadn't.
> Since the migration was done in a sort of a hurry to bring a
> versioning system back online, people were more interested in being
> able to merge all their local changes than discussing the pros and
> cons of this or that code versioning system.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, I'd be happy if the new versioning system
> allowed me to do local/offline commits inside my local checkout so
> that I can make incremental changes to my code without having to
> formally check-in my code to the main repository.
> People may say that I can just install my own SVN server, but I'd

I used to do that, but it was plain horrible. Or, maybe I was doing it
incorrectly. But, I do not
think merging between repositories is|was supported when using SVN. So,
you'd have to import
one version of a checkout, commit on that tree, and from time to time
make patches containing
the modifications in the main tree and commit those in your own tree.
And that sucks :)
You can't see the history correctly as you just see huge commits in your
tree, and you have to
make notes (I made them in the commit message) of what changes (up until
which revision)
you have already applied.

> just be happier of the versioning system had that feature built-in.
>
> I haven't followed closely the latest discussions about GIT, but I
> think I read that such feature existed in GIT, so if that's the case,
> then it's another good reason to use GIT I'd say. :-)

It has! :-)

> [...]
>> yes, i agree its important that git clients exist on all major OSs
>> that is mac osx, freebsd, linux, mingw or cygwin
>>
>> for mingw see http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mingw.git
>>

> Apparently, it's still a bit far from being usable by Joe-six-pack,
> but let's hope it'll only get better.... :-)

Depends on whether Joe-six-pack is capable of using cygwin :-)

With friendly regards,
Takis