Thu May 24 18:28:26 CEST 2007
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 04:17:35PM +0200, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
> Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> > On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 09:16:56AM -0400, Justin wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Can someone
> >> recommend a service that administrates this, or do I just go and make
> >> a Paypal 'tip jar' and administrate it myself?
> > Maybe I am in a minority but for me the problem with such things is
> > that I refuse to use Paypal
> Probably the wrong question to ask, but why?
1) I do distrust them (and not only not trust), without any special
2) Nobody I know around here uses it.
3) I do not think passwords are appropriate protection for any kind of
4) It is a heavy target for all kinds of spammers etc.
5) I belongs to ebay, which recently changed its terms of service and
thinks that change is valid just because it sent the new terms once per
email. A strong indication that the law being on my side will not help
me at all unless I am ready to sue. This fits with calling their terms
of use a contract and using formulations "make an effort" that are
worthless and probably invalid under German law.
6) I am used to money transfers not costing anything while having people
I can speak to personally in case of problems and where threatening to
move my money elsewhere will do more than just cause a shrug.
7) It is not easily possible to find the person the money went to when it
disappears, not even with involving police.
8) All data is stored in the US, which means full access (and probably
already established automatic processing) of transaction data. Not that
I trust the government here any more, but I do not like having to trust
9) They are acting under British law which I know even less than the
> > and all existing solutions (like e.g. sourceforge)
> > offer that as the only option...
> Why would sourceforge's offerings matter?
It was just an example...
> Here's a list of alternatives to PayPal:
Most seem to be US only, with some having web pages that cause me to
run away scared...
More information about the ffmpeg-devel