[FFmpeg-devel] [Patch] adding 'dist' rule to makefiles

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Nov 13 09:57:23 CET 2007

"Ronald S. Bultje" <rsbultje at gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 12, 2007 7:50 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>> > Poke accepted, but here's one thing: if several ffmpeg "users", in this
>> case
>> > not people writing media applications or such, but people trying to
>> package
>> > ffmpeg, would like to see a make dist (and that seems to be the case),
>> would
>> > it be allowed upstream (of course if it's clean etc.)?
>>
>> I repeat, packagers are using already other means to create snapshots,
>> usually simpler and based on the scm they like...
>
> I've repeated several times now that the scm snapshot may not be exactly
> what you want to ship in a tarball, and that is true for ffmpeg as well. I
> ship ffmpeg (with elaborate workarounds, like creating a whole auto* toolset
> around it), I would know, right?

So you're saying you add cruft to your FFmpeg tree, and now you want
us to help you remove it.

> So, third time, given that users (packagers) of ffmpeg - even though they
> are indeed currently able to build tarballs with elaborate workarounds -
> would like a make dist (and related), could it go in?

What elaborate workarounds are you talking about?  A tarball should
contain exactly the files from SVN, nothing more and nothing less.

> (Sorry to have to make this point, but if it was really that easy with
> current tools / setup, don't you think ffmpeg would be making releases? And
> now dare answer this instead of bullshit around.)

As others have pointed out, the lack of a "dist" make target is not
the reason there are no official releases.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com