[FFmpeg-devel] [Patch] adding 'dist' rule to makefiles

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Nov 13 10:54:51 CET 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 09:06:11PM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> I've repeated several times now that the scm snapshot may not be exactly
> what you want to ship in a tarball, and that is true for ffmpeg as well. I
> ship ffmpeg (with elaborate workarounds, like creating a whole auto* toolset
> around it), I would know, right?

What else do you want to ship in a tarball?

> (Sorry to have to make this point, but if it was really that easy with
> current tools / setup, don't you think ffmpeg would be making releases? And
> now dare answer this instead of bullshit around.)

No, I can assure you that this has *nothing* to do with FFmpeg making
releases or not.

MPlayer does releases without support from the auto* tools just fine.  I
don't see where make dist would help in the process.  Just compiling a
snapshot on your machine is not enough anyway.  We generate a test
tarball and compile it on as many architectures and platforms as we can
access.

Diego