[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH] matroska demuxer doesn't decode the zlib encoding on vobsubs

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Wed Nov 28 00:04:21 CET 2007

elupus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently the vobsub data coming out of lavf, is zlib encoded, and
> can't be fed directly into lavc's dvd demuxer, even thou the codec_id
> matches.
>
> This "patch" decodes the zlib encoding. It's uggly and hackish, so
> not intended to be included in ffmpeg. It's mainly for discussion,
> and for anybody that needs vobsub support from lavf.
>
> Apperently any track in matroska can be either zlib or lzo
> compressed. (i'd assume there might be others). mplayer's matroska
> demuxer handles this, but lavf doesn't currently.
>
> Would be nice to see support for this in ffmpeg's demuxer too. I
> doubt i'll work on it much more, but maybe this could get some
> mplayer dev going adding support since they want to get away from
> their own demuxers and use lavf's instead :)

That's something I wanted to add since quite some time.
But I was waiting for M?ns native zlib decoder to be commited.
I hope this will happen soon.
When native zlib is in, I will cleanup this patch to use it,
and commit.

Aurel