[FFmpeg-devel] lavfi noise generator

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Mon Dec 29 11:39:30 CET 2008

On date Monday 2008-12-29 00:52:18 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 12:25:02AM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > no Michael I'm not posting it for you or others to review it, I'm just
>
> no but i reject it anyway
> your code is crap, sorry
>
> People didnt want to port libmpcodecs when i suggested it, i dont mind
> this at all, libmpcodecs has its serious issues but this does not mean i
> will accept code that is inferrior than it.
>
> vf_noise.c should be MUCH faster than your code.

I'm aware of the speed issues, but that wasn't the point of it, I
didn't intended it as something ready for production use either
inclusion in SVN, but just as a working example, since we currently
lack examples besides the other things and the noise generator is
a good candidate due to its intrinsic simplicity.

As for the speed concerns, I see two major issues to be addressed, the
use of the av_random() for setting every single byte, ideally we
should set the whole buffer for example reading from /dev/urandom but
this would not be portable, and the av_picture_copy() can be avoided
using properly the permissions system and passing a picture reference.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fostering & Fundamental Mind-dumbing Portable Ecstatic Game