[FFmpeg-devel] [Hardware Accelerator for Video and Audio]

Benjamin Zores ben
Thu Feb 21 10:32:14 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM, kenye ye <kenyeby at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'm thinking of this from a usability point of view.
>  > It's a bit annoying when you have a display dedicated to videos.
>  > How and where is rendered the GUI/WM/anything_else_that_is_not_video ?
>

>   We'll provide the channel for the GUI data, i.e. OSD engine.

I.e a limited 256 colours OSD engine ?
If you want to use your computer with any regular application, you'll
then can't use the video display provided by this decoder.

To my understanding, VaAPI is not in charge of displaying video.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Acceleration_API
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/mobile-hw-decode

What you basically have to do is:
- make FFMpeg uses VaAPI (this is generic, not related to your card in
particular)
- implement a video driver (hw specific) towards libVA (no idea if it
is kernel or user based though, need to check this out).

Ben

--
"My life, and by extension everyone else's is meaningless."
Bender, Futurama