[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] drop support for using libav* compiled with mingw/cygwin in msvc

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 27 12:45:19 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:28:48AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 01:27:42AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > Yes, sorry. This is the kind of thing that happens without a formal voting
> > procedure ...
>
> No.  You simply called for a vote without allowing for previous
> discussion.

A proper formal "voting procedure" would require some discussion period
before people write proposed solutions about which people then can vote
using some condorcet method ...

> Note that the discussion brought force a workable
> alternative solution.

Yes, we voted, we discussed, mans commited something based on the discussion.
Before the vote your and mans position was that you didnt care at all
about MSVC breakage, the vote demonstrated that this is not what people
want. In such the vote was usefull ...

> Voting should be the very last resort, always.

Especially if the result differs from what you wanted. ;)
No IMHO voting is very usefull to find out what peoples positions are.
The only reason not to vote is that one preferrs to not know what the
majority wants.
And please dont misunderstand me but i think you are more pissed about the
result than the fact that there was a vote.
Also speaking about votes with no proper discussion, the warning vote you
started also had _zero_ discussion prior. People just added discussion while
voting ...

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras