[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Jan 29 01:25:37 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 05:45:00PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 03:22:53PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> > On 28/01/2008, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:15:56AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >
> > If the atmosphere of the lists is improved such that people feel more
> > comfortable expressing their opinions on matters here then this won't
> > be a problem and it makes sense to do this as we are all on these
> > lists and then abstaining from discussion on the list could be
> > considered acceptable.
>
> Is the "atmosphere" on IRC really better? Last time i were there i remember
> rich and others kicking people off the channel for little if anything.
> last being years ago and maybe not even exactly the last time but i
> remember it wasnt exactly rare and the tone on IRC was not better at all
> than on the list

So far nobody has been kicked off #ffmpeg-devel.  Now that there is a
separate developer channel the atmosphere is really friendly and
productive.  Do go visit us sometimes.

> > As mentioned during the discussion, you wouldn't accept below-par code
> > to be committed to trunk and yet you readily committed poor (and
> > possibly incomprehensible) English which is quite a double standard.
> > Whilst I would be happier with you spending time on coding because it
> > is clearly your strength, maybe it would be more consistent for you to
> > submit patches for documentation for review by the maintainers or
> > people who are strong at English. This would seem fair to me.
>
> I can but diego said in the past to commit instead of sending patches.
> So if diego wants patches for the docs thats fine with me.

I prefer direct commits, but that does not mean I'm happy about shoddy
quality.  I think it's reasonable to expect punctuation to exist, to
avoid contractions and to make a honest effort (within one's skill
level) to use correct grammar and spelling.

Diego