[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Jan 29 02:42:17 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 03:18:36PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:15:56AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > I did not claim this, but ffmpeg is even less you. Still you threaten
> > > to make decissions about ffmpegs developers based on what you think
> > > is best or what you think is a consensus amongth the active developers.
> > > Why is it that you think that your oppinion about a consensus amongth
> > > the active developers is better than the ffmpeg maintainers oppionion
> > > about a consensus amongth the active developers?
> > > After all ive not acted against the oppinon of the majority ever
> > > still you repeatly emphasize that you wont listen to me.
> >
> > That is not true, you act according to your own best judgement,
> > regardless of where the majority lies.
>
> I act according to the majority on the mailinglist normally, i guess you
> might be able to find exceptions but this isnt that common. And certainly
> never when it comes to organisatorial things like crating mailinglists,
> i might ignore a majority if its about code and sufficiently silly.

What is "the majority of the mailing list"?  A majority of the
developers disagreed with you about spelling, a majority also has a
different attitude towards compiler warnings, I'm not even sure a
majority shares your super-strict coding standards.

But this is besides the point.  I do not think of this project as a
democracy, nor do I expect it to be one.  It is a dictatorship with you
- the benevolent dictator sometimes affectionately referred to as "evil
overlord" ;p - at its helm.  However, if you think of it as anything
else, you are mistaken.

Nonetheless while you and this mailing list are the center of the FFmpeg
universe, it has grown much beyond it.  There's an IRC channel and a
website, a yearly FFmpeg booth at LinuxTag and a multitude of people
that maintain big or small parts, commit patches, look after the project
infrastructure and help out in many other ways.

> > Note that I do not expect you to act according to majority opinion
> > (whatever that may be) but if you think you do, you are mistaken.

> > > I do not bully anyone.
> >
> > That is not true, you are a bully.
> >
> > For example, you have been bullying me at every opportunity ever since I
> > dared stand up to you because of your refusal to improve your spelling.
> > Afterwards it seemed like you were trying your very best to make sure I
> > regretted standing up to you.
>
> hmm, if you see it that way, i must say i did not conciously intend to bully
> you or anyone else. But i must say that you and mans did not skip an
> oppertunity to bully me about the spelling.

Complain yes, bully no.  But I think Reimar explained this well already.

> also i feel people should send me a mail and complain if they think i treat
> them unfairly. I dont remember anyone ever complained to me until now ...

As I said, few people dare stand up to you.  But I think this has been
said better by others already.

> > You have bullied Andreas ?man after he made another attempt at
> > resurrecting the AAC decoder, threatening to revoke his account.
>
> huh? i did not threaten him with revoking his account
> i just (possibly in a somewhat aggressive) way pointed at the fact that
> changing files by svn add is a svn policy violation. He never asked
> about this before on the soc mailing list, which i think would have
> been at least appropriate for such a controversal change. Again
> not all people are on IRC

You said that he would surely have lost his account if he had committed
to ffmpeg instead of ffmpeg-soc and he did ask before.  But this appears
to have been settled, so let's leave it at that.

> > He made a good faith attempt to do the right thing, now he is
> > discouraged from further working on it.
>
> Thank you for making me responsible for him not working on the code.
> The last he said in the thread was:
> "
> >
> > about the audio API, i dunno but i dont think it makes sense to delay (all)
> > audio decoders until some audio mixing API has been finished ...
>
> I agree on that. I'll continue to work with the aac-decoder in the
> current repo. First thing is to fix the current known bug.
>
> Secondly, the small annoying bugs that's I initially imagined
> would be "fixed" by an audio API could be fixed quite easy anyway.
> "
>
> this doesnt sound like i scared him away to me ...

I can assure you that he was unhappy and discouraged on IRC.  I'm glad
this is settled now, but your first reaction was clearly uncalled for.
But let's not rest on these matters further...

> > > I have no problem at all getting along with people, i do not even have
> > > a problem getting along with you as developer. I have a serious problem
> > > getting along with root at mphq and their decissions not matching democratic
> > > majority, general consensus nor the maintainers oppinion sometimes.
> >
> > This constant bickering against root is nonsense.  None of the roots has
> > ever taken such a decision.  Also, you intentionally commingle three
> > very different persons during your infamous root@ rants.  I fail to
> > understand why.
>
> * non creation of the win32 mailinglist

The Windows people created their own web forums which seemed to serve
their needs much better.  Issue resolved.  If you were so hellbent on
seeing a Windows mailing list, you could have sent a quick email, as you
suggested in a different context above:

  also i feel people should send me a mail and complain if they think
  i treat them unfairly. I dont remember anyone ever complained to me
  until now ...

I could not have said it better, if you are unhappy, send a mail.
You did not.  The issue cannot have been that pressing then.

> * not creating the ffmpeg-issues mailing list when i and luca asked

Asked when and where?  I just have a mail where Luca requests a mail
address forwarding.

> * not following democratic vote on mplayer-dev-eng about uotis account

Democracy is more than just voting, you need a constitution.  You could
say that the policy document is such a thing, but it says nothing about
voting or when an account should or will be revoked.

MPlayer is not a democracy.  It used to be a dictatorship run by Arpi,
nowadays decisions are taken based on consensus, for better or worse.
That voting was a bad idea in the first place and it was never clear who
should be allowed to vote on what grounds, but all of this is besides
the point.

In the end a consensus was reached not to revoke Uoti's account.  You
were a pivotal part of that decision and you announced it on the mailing
list[1].  You may regret your role now, but you cannot renounce it.
When you point a finger at me (because that's what you do when you
speak of root@) and accuse me of evil deeds, that finger is pointing
right back at you.

Now I'm all for letting matters rest, very much so.  Stirring up this
incident again and again does no good at all, on the contrary.  I'll bet
you a dollar that these few lines will spawn a few replies, none of
which will do any good.

So may I suggest leaving the past behind us please?

And last but not least, Mans is not part of MPlayer and never had
anything to do with this.

> iam sure i could find more ...

No, you could not.  What's more, I could find countless times where we
have provided swift and high-quality service to this project.  In fact,
you are the only person that has ever complained.

And you still haven't answered why you are batching us together into a
faceless root@ conglomerate.

Anyway, I'm not trying to pour gasoline on the flames here.  This thread
is turning out pretty constructive, let's keep it that way.

Diego

[1] http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2007-February/049835.html