[FFmpeg-devel] How to handle compiler warnings

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Tue Jan 29 12:03:15 CET 2008

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> The topic has come up again, it's time to discuss the subject.  I
> propose to try to avoid compiler warnings as much as possible in order
>
> - have cleaner code,
> - have important warnings not be drowned out,
> - make FFmpeg a programming textbook.
>
> This does not include warning fixes that slow things down or obfuscate
> the code, but if in doubt I personally would err on the side of fixing
> the warning.

IMNSHO all warnings should be fixed and warning-is-error turned on. In
my experience (not on ffmpeg code), that leads to 99% of trivial
warnings being fixed trivially, 1% being danger sign and fixed
trivially, and I have never found one that could only be fixed using bloat.

Greetings,
--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director