[FFmpeg-devel] How to handle compiler warnings

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Tue Jan 29 13:18:23 CET 2008

Michel Bardiaux wrote:

> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > The topic has come up again, it's time to discuss the subject.  I
> > propose to try to avoid compiler warnings as much as possible in
> > order to
> >
> > - have cleaner code,
> > - have important warnings not be drowned out,
> > - make FFmpeg a programming textbook.
> >
> > This does not include warning fixes that slow things down or
> > obfuscate the code, but if in doubt I personally would err on the
> > side of fixing the warning.

I support this.

> IMNSHO all warnings should be fixed and warning-is-error turned on.

I disagree about turning on warning-is-error. Different compiler
versions on different arch produce different warnings.
With warning-is-error, building svn tree (our only supported
distribution) will become a pain for non-developers.

Aurel