[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Runtime-inited versus Hardcoded tables.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 31 17:09:48 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 05:57:14PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:01 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 03:34:15PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > > without much speed loss (yes the cmp function can be optimized
> >
> > Once again I'm glad Uoti has no authority in this project...
>
> Why? Do you have reason to believe that what I said would not be
> technically correct? What kind of speed loss do you claim to be
> inevitable if you drop motion_est.o size to half with a reasonable
> amount of work? I wouldn't be surprised if it got noticeably faster, the
> current implementation wastes quite a lot of cache.

A patch which makes it smaller at the same or better speed
or one which makes it faster at the same size, is welcome.

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch