[FFmpeg-devel] DVCPRO-HD bounty offered

Armando Di Cianno armando
Mon Jun 9 20:53:06 CEST 2008

Roman,

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Roman V. Shaposhnik <rvs at sun.com> wrote:
>> company that submits a patch against the current FFmpeg svn trunk that
>> successfully decodes DVCPRO-HD.
> That said,
> I believe it would be much more desirable for the project in general
> to have a slightly different goal for the bounty in mind: integration
> of the DVCPRO-HD codec functionality into the trunk of the FFmpeg
> mainline.

That is actually what I meant by "current FFmpeg svn trunk" -- the
actual FFmpeg mainline that everyone uses if they checkout FFmpeg from
the FFmpeg project pages.  The experimental branch you have seems a
bit out of date compared to mainline FFmpeg -- making it easier to
integrate various patches, but harder to make a clean patch against
mainline FFmpeg.

>>  This patch should include support for
>> 1080i50, 1080i60, 1080p25, 1080p50, 720p50, and 720p60.
> It would be very nice, however, to have a bit more samples from
> you. At least one per format you seem to be interested in:
> 1080i50, 1080i60, 1080p25, 1080p50, 720p50, and 720p60.

I'll see if I can generate one of each of these formats sometime today
or tomorrow.  AFAICT, there's more possibilities of formats, but
hopefully these are all that might be seen in the wild.

> This is a nice gesture and it is definitely appreciated. Now, I must warn you: the bar for the quality of code getting
> in is set quite high. I can very well imagine a patch that is
> completely  acceptable to you (and thus satisfies all of the bounty
> requirements) still not be acceptable to Michael as the ultimate
> guardian of our code. Thus, the level of financial reward might need
> to be upped a bit to get folks interested (how much -- I don't know).

I'll keep this in mind.  If there's any other developers out there
whose companies would like to see DVCPRO-HD integrated, I could
probably get a bounty page set up to collect more pledges for support.

> Now that Baptiste has updated the Git repository -- that file
> plays perfectly. Here's what you need to do to try it out:
>
>  $ git clone git://repo.or.cz/FFMpeg-mirror/DVCPRO-HD.git
>  $ cd DVCPRO-HD
>  $ git checkout origin/dans-patch
>  $ ./configure
>  $ make

I'll check it out; if I can help with the creation of a mainline
patch, I would love to do so.

__armando