[FFmpeg-devel] DVCPRO-HD bounty offered

Roman V. Shaposhnik rvs
Sun Jun 8 23:09:31 CEST 2008

Hi Armando,

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 15:13 -0400, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
> To give some incentive to getting DVCPRO-HD working, my company is
> offering a $250 (US dollar) bounty to the first individual, group, or
> company that submits a patch against the current FFmpeg svn trunk that
> successfully decodes DVCPRO-HD.  This patch should include support for
> 1080i50, 1080i60, 1080p25, 1080p50, 720p50, and 720p60.  (This happens
> to be the default export list from Apple QuickTime.)  Please make sure
> to respond to this thread on the ffmpeg-devel list, with a link to the
> patch or patches, if you'd like to claim the bounty.

This is a nice gesture and it is definitely appreciated. That said,
I believe it would be much more desirable for the project in general
to have a slightly different goal for the bounty in mind: integration
of the DVCPRO-HD codec functionality into the trunk of the FFmpeg
mainline. Now, I must warn you: the bar for the quality of code getting
in is set quite high. I can very well imagine a patch that is
completely  acceptable to you (and thus satisfies all of the bounty
requirements) still not be acceptable to Michael as the ultimate
guardian of our code. Thus, the level of financial reward might need
to be upped a bit to get folks interested (how much -- I don't know).

> We have a 1080i50 (exported from Apple QuickTime) available here:
>   http://www.sesamevault.com:80/video/4894/original/file
> ... this file is about 100MB in size.

Now that Baptiste has updated the Git repository -- that file
plays perfectly. Here's what you need to do to try it out:

  $ git clone git://repo.or.cz/FFMpeg-mirror/DVCPRO-HD.git
  $ cd DVCPRO-HD
  $ git checkout origin/dans-patch
  $ ./configure
  $ make

It would be very nice, however, to have a bit more samples from
you. At least one per format you seem to be interested in:
1080i50, 1080i60, 1080p25, 1080p50, 720p50, and 720p60.

> We can pay the bounty with PayPal or by company check sent via snail
> mail.  If you're curious about Open Box Technologies, Inc, our website
> is:
>   http://www.obtech.net/
>
> As a company, we utilize FFmpeg in a plethora of ways.  I'm excited to
> offer this bounty to the FFmpeg development community, and hopefully
> bring better DVCPRO-HD support to both FFmpeg and MPlayer.

Thanks for the support!

Thanks,
Roman.