[FFmpeg-devel] Problem with cross compilation / need?guidance?for patch submission

Diego Biurrun diego
Sun Oct 12 19:38:15 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 05:33:29PM +0000, Edouard Gomez wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego <at> biurrun.de> writes:
> > The problem really is in FAAC and should be fixed there.  Submit a patch
> > to them that changes the preprocessor condition to use __WIN32__ or one
> > of the other variants.
>
> I understand your point.
>
> What you're telling here is that ffmpeg is relying on other libs to be
> iso c99. This is a very unrealistic approach as most of the libs are
> not iso c99 compliant.
>
> To put it simply, the ffmpeg build system is at fault because it imposes
> the std=c99 to headers that were never thought to be compiled like that.
> Why fix external headers ? Isn't the responsability of the includer to
> use the headers correctly ?

It's not quite like that.  All you need to do is add a single underscore
to one word in one header and all your problems will go away...

> > In the meantime you can work around this problem by patching your local
> > FAAC headers.
>
> Yes. VLC devs will decide which project to patch in their contrib building
> process.
>
> My work is now over, i won't run after fixes on a third project in a row.

Fixes need to be done in the correct place so that they reach the
maximum number of people and need not be redone everywhere.  Yes, this
sometimes puts an extra burden on the bug fixer, in this case you, but
it is the better and more work-efficient strategy in the long run.

Diego