[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-soc] Attention: FFMPEG bkeak License Agreement. You break the law.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Mon Sep 8 10:52:07 CEST 2008

Hello,
On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:36:46AM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
[...]
> By French Law, writing a Nellymoser decoder by reverse engineering is
> completely legal if it's for interoperability purposes.

I don't want you stop having your fun, but why do you respond someone
who:
1) posts from a random gmail account
2) does not even _claim_ to have any rights in this case
3) does not even cite the license agreement this is supposed to be based
on
4) offers no proof or even indication why this code should have been
developed in a illegal way, assuming the validity of the license agreement,
nor stating (assuming that quoted product was involved at all) why the license
agreement would make the resulting code illegal instead of just giving right
to sue who did the reverse engineering for damages.
5) is unable to even state in a comprehensible way wtf they want (no,
even after reading several times I am not completely sure about it -
that the part quoted from ffmpeg.org was not marked as such does not
help)

I am all for taking such stuff seriously, but this "request" is beyond
ridiculous.

Greetings,
Reimar Doeffinger