[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-soc] Attention: FFMPEG bkeak License Agreement. You break the law.

Benjamin Larsson banan
Mon Sep 8 13:24:12 CEST 2008

Kostya wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:52:07AM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:36:46AM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> By French Law, writing a Nellymoser decoder by reverse engineering is
>>> completely legal if it's for interoperability purposes.
>>>
>> I don't want you stop having your fun, but why do you respond someone
>> who:
>> 1) posts from a random gmail account
>> 2) does not even _claim_ to have any rights in this case
>> 3) does not even cite the license agreement this is supposed to be based
>> on
>> 4) offers no proof or even indication why this code should have been
>> developed in a illegal way, assuming the validity of the license agreement,
>> nor stating (assuming that quoted product was involved at all) why the license
>> agreement would make the resulting code illegal instead of just giving right
>> to sue who did the reverse engineering for damages.
>> 5) is unable to even state in a comprehensible way wtf they want (no,
>> even after reading several times I am not completely sure about it -
>> that the part quoted from ffmpeg.org was not marked as such does not
>> help)
>>
>> I am all for taking such stuff seriously, but this "request" is beyond
>> ridiculous.
>>

> I'd like to do as The Pirate Bay (http://thepiratebay.org/legal) - ridicule
> and ignore.
>

>> Greetings,
>> Reimar Doeffinger

I mainly let this through as I don't want any discussion in the future
about that we "are censoring stuff". And the fact that the nelly2pcm
decoder has been taken down due to a DCMA complaint
http://code.google.com/p/nelly2pcm/downloads/list.

MvH
Benjamin Larsson