[FFmpeg-devel] libavfilter help

Vitor Sessak vitor1001
Mon Sep 8 19:09:22 CEST 2008

Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Sunday 2008-08-24 17:17:47 +0200, Vitor Sessak encoded:
>> Stefano Sabatini wrote:
>>> On date Sunday 2008-08-24 07:58:48 +0200, Vitor Sessak encoded:

>>> What's exactly missing the soc vf_scale.c filter? Or is it just a
>>> matter of importing it into SVN?
>> It's just a matter of getting it reviewed. I've posted already it for
>> review at
>> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2008-February/042103.html
>> and Bobby made it decode one slice at a time since then (but it probably
>> broke the filter when ffmpeg is compiled without --enable-swscaler).
>
> I just finished to debug a problem I was encountering when executing
> this command (current libavfilter GSoc code):
>
> ffplay -s 200x200 -f rawvideo /dev/zero
>
> which was causing random crashes, then setting the size to 300x300 or
> higher values that was always crashing.
>
> It turned out that the problem was that the rawvideo decoder uses the
> input buffer to set the data in the output AVFrame, so when the packet
> containing the buffer was released then the output frame data was
> released as well, and when accessed caused a crash.
>
> So my solution is just to add the condition:
>
>         if (is->video_st->codec->codec->id != CODEC_ID_RAWVIDEO)
>             av_free_packet(pkt);
>
> when freeing the packet in ffplay:get_video_frame().
>
> If you think this is the right solution I can commit it in the soc
> repo.

Looks reasonable to me.

> Before to start to work to the scale filter review by Michael I'd
> also like to fix the problem for which gsoc ffplay terminates with an
> FPE exception with VP6 video streams, which could need some redesign.

Please test it first with ffmpeg instead of ffplay, its patch has been
more tested and is better maintained. More precisely, the ffplay patch
do not use avfilter_poll_frame() as it should. My idea is to factor a
lot of code from the ffmpeg.c patch to a common file (see the patch I
posted not long ago that adds vsrc_buffer) and practically rewrite the
ffplay patch from scratch using it.

-Vitor