[FFmpeg-devel] Am I violating the license?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik
Tue Sep 23 09:25:22 CEST 2008

On Tuesday, 23 September 2008 at 09:15, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Monday 2008-09-22 22:42:47 -0700, Jason Garrett-Glaser encoded:
> > On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:09 PM, Wayne Koorts <wkoorts at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > There are only two things you need to do to avoid violating the license:
> >
> > 1.  Include the text of the GPL (and, preferably, credit to ffmpeg in
> > the About box of the program or similar).
> > 2.  Include the source of ffmpeg, or host a copy of the source used on
> > your website.  Note that this source must be the same source used to
> > compile ffmpeg.
>
> Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before, would be a simple
> reference to the SVN revision (plus eventual patches) used sufficient
> or is necessary to provide the complete source?

Well, IIRC the GPL requires the source for any given release to be available
for 3 years. Who knows if FFmpeg doesn't switch to git within that timeframe.
How will you get SVN revision rXXX then? It's always better to provide the
source.

Regards,
R.

--