[FFmpeg-devel] Am I violating the license?

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Sep 23 12:58:58 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 04:09:35PM +1200, Wayne Koorts wrote:

> I noticed the Hall of Shame page on your website and I thought I
> should make extra sure that I'm not violating your license with my
> application: Tubecaster - http://tubecaster.sourceforge.net

Note that there is absolutely no substitute for reading the license.
You would not buy a house and have somebody summarize the contract for
you, would you?  So go ahead, read the GPL (v3 in your case) and the GPL
FAQ, it should answer all your questions.

> It is a GUI application to download YouTube videos and convert them to
> the selected format.  Conversion is done behind the scenes with
> ffmpeg.  Tubecaster is licensed under the GNU GPL and in the latest
> version about to be released I include a credit to ffmpeg and a link
> to your homepage.
>
> I just wanted to find out if there is anything else the ffmpeg team
> would like me to do?  Would you specifically like me to link to your
> source from the website?  I'm prepared to do whatever is required.

You need to provide the exact same source you used to build your FFmpeg
executable.  Putting a tarball up for download is fine with us.  You
should also note which version of FFmpeg you were using and make any
modifications available.

Diego