[FFmpeg-devel] Announcing The Book of Wisdom

Attila Kinali attila
Tue Sep 23 18:26:04 CEST 2008

Moin People,

Those of you, who were at the ending party of the LinuxTag 2008
know already about it, some of you might heard of it and some
of you might wish you had it already: The Book of Wisdom!

BoW is sub-project to FFmpeg and MPlayer to gather the
vast knowledge we have on video coding, audio and video codecs,
file formats and all the issues you face when trying to implement
something.

The goal is to write a book that should become the ultimate
resource on video coding to teach and attract new developers.
Why? Because there is no such book yet.

There is a new mailinglist for it [1] and a subversion repository [2]
where all MPlayer and FFmpeg developers have write access to.

The repo has currently only a skeleton for the book. The most important
file there is the README.authors, which was crafted by a crazy bunch
of people[3] who left a ongoing party to write the book outline. It contains
the basic idea behind BoW, who we want to target, who isn't in the target
audience, conventions for writing and what we thought should be in this book.
Ofcourse, all this is open to discussion.

I would like to ask everyone who wants to help in the effort
for this book (hopefully many of you) to join the mailinglist
and make this book a great success.

			Attila Kinali

PS: Special thanks goes to the Amarok Team, who gave us (unknowingly)
the working title of the book. (At least i think it was them...
there was a lot of beer involved....)

[2] svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/bow/trunk
[3] Mans, Roberto and me
--