[FFmpeg-devel] asm vs __asm__: revenge of the underscores

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò flameeyes
Sun Sep 28 15:44:00 CEST 2008

Hi there,

I'm _still_ trying to get FFmpeg to build on my OpenSolaris box, now
with the Sun Studio compiler (for once I'm glad it exists for Linux too
so I can test build outside the virtual machine). The nice thing about
FFmpeg is that it's standard enough that it should work with Sun's
compiler; the bad thing about Sun Studio is that it can be quite anal on
what it supports and what doesn't.

Beside a patch I'll send later on to improve the checks on compiler
flags, there's a tree-wide problem with Sun Studio: it does not accept
asm(""), but only __asm__ ("") for inline assembler.

I've seen there was a discussion about that in April, and the outcome
was to use asm("") because it was more used; would anybody be against
getting it back to __asm__("") so that Sun Studio has a chance to get it
to work?

Also, it seems like to use asm("") with C99 and GCC, the -fasm option is
needed (and I haven't even found it documented anywhere), while
__asm__("") seems to work without needing that.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Petten?
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/