[FFmpeg-devel] asm vs __asm__: revenge of the underscores

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Sep 28 17:15:45 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:44:00PM +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm _still_ trying to get FFmpeg to build on my OpenSolaris box, now
> with the Sun Studio compiler (for once I'm glad it exists for Linux too
> so I can test build outside the virtual machine). The nice thing about
> FFmpeg is that it's standard enough that it should work with Sun's
> compiler; the bad thing about Sun Studio is that it can be quite anal on
> what it supports and what doesn't.
>
> Beside a patch I'll send later on to improve the checks on compiler
> flags, there's a tree-wide problem with Sun Studio: it does not accept
> asm(""), but only __asm__ ("") for inline assembler.
>
> I've seen there was a discussion about that in April, and the outcome
> was to use asm("") because it was more used; would anybody be against
> getting it back to __asm__("") so that Sun Studio has a chance to get it
> to work?
>
> Also, it seems like to use asm("") with C99 and GCC, the -fasm option is
> needed (and I haven't even found it documented anywhere), while
> __asm__("") seems to work without needing that.

if __asm__ works on more compilers than asm then iam not against switching
i guess a tested! script that replaces them would also be more welcome than
a 100+k patch ...

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle