[FFmpeg-devel] Who is against GIT now?

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Apr 5 19:07:46 CEST 2009

Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> writes:

> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>> I just wonder who is against git now...
>> I strongly dislike that metadata cannot be versioned or changed, for
>> example commit messages.
>> Given the often low-quality commit messages we suffer from around
>> here and the importance they have when debugging or understanding
>> the code I think there has to be a way to update and fix them.  And
>> I am most emphatically *not* talking about spelling errors in
>> commit messages.  Repeat after me, this is *not* about pedantic
>> nitpicking[1].
>
> git rebase -i on topic branches does what you'd ever dream about ^^;

git rebase is wonderful, but it must not be used on the master branch
that other people clone from.  Given certain developers total refusal
to write sane commit messages, we will never be able to keep them out
of the main tree.  Unlike Diego, I do not see this as a show-stopper
for moving to git.  Very few messages end up being changed anyway
(Diego's nit-picking aside), and I can't say I suffer too badly from
the poor quality.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com