[FFmpeg-devel] Who is against GIT now? (Was: [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Apr 5 20:48:41 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 07:08:53PM +0100, Robert Swain wrote:
> On 5/4/09 18:12, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>> You misunderstand: It needs to be done in the repository, not in
>>> somebody's local tree.
>>
>> If instead of having the single tree you have more remote branches you
>> can do and publish more commits and hopefully fix those issue before
>> landing them in the master tree (if you like this workflow).
>
> It could also be noted that if we ask for git format-patch generated
> patches, they contain the commit message. If we mandated this form of patch
> rather than `git diff > somefile.patch` then the commit message could also
> be reviewed.

Iam definitly in favor of commit messages in patches, independant of git,
also if its not in the patch checklist it should be added.

> It wouldn't stop subpar commit messages from core
> developers/maintainers however but it would help in a lot of cases.

now here we have the problem because i think most of the bad commit messages
are from core developers and not applied patches.
but i didnt do a survey its just my gut feeling

Avoid a single point of failure, be that a person or equipment.