[FFmpeg-devel] ALAC encoder is not bitperfect

Justin Ruggles justin.ruggles
Mon Apr 13 22:50:55 CEST 2009

Jai Menon wrote:
> On 4/13/09, Brent Huisman <brenthuisman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Jai,
>>
>>  I've used several different builds, including the new ffmpeg 0.5. Any
>>  and all versions I tried exhibit this behaviour. Also any and all
>>  source wave files I use have this. Have you tried bitcomparing
>>  yourself?
>
> Yes, and the output is bitexact as far as I have seen. Please specify
> what exactly you are using to bitcompare. If its foobar2k bitcompare,
> then sadly thats a bug in fb2k's mp4 demuxer and should be reported to
> them. I think Justin posted something in this regard to HydrogenAudio.
> FFmpeg'a alac encoder writes out the no. of samples in every frame
> correctly which fb2k discards and instead pads the frame with zeroes.
> Try checking the bitexactness using itunes or ffalac.

The specific issue seems to be a combination of our mp4 muxer and how
fb2k handles it, but ALAC decoders other than fb2k read the actual ALAC
frames to determine the number of samples, while fb2k uses info from the
mp4 container.

Here is a quote on Hydrogenaudio from a user named Gregory S. Chudov:

** start quote **
There are two places in mp4 container, where the length is stored.

First place is in moov.mvhd chunk (movie header).
iTunes encoder writes the approximate number of samples there.
ffmpeg encoder writes the approximate length in milliseconds.
This is not very reliable field and is ignored by fb2k.

Second place is moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stts (sample table).
This is where iTunes encoder stores the correct length. This is what
fb2k uses.
This table contains array of struct { int sample_count; int
sample_duration }
Total length is a sum of sample_count*sample_duration.
Normally for iTunes-encoded file this table contains two entries.
First entry with sample_duration=4096 and sample_count=total_samples/4096
Second entry with sample_duration=total_samples%4096 and sample_count=1
For ffmpeg, this table sadly contains only one entry, so the total
sample length is rounded up to a multiple of 4096.
** end quote **

>> I've read more reports of these consistent mismatches, so
>>  I'm pretty sure you'll experience them as well.
>
> I believe this is specific to foobar2k. Could you try with itunes instead?

iTunes, dBpoweramp, and FFmpeg (of course) all generate the correct
number of samples.

-Justin