[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg skips the first I-frame in my cameras mp4 files

William R. Zwicky wrzwicky
Sat Aug 8 23:48:55 CEST 2009

Vitor Sessak wrote:
> I suggest you upload a sample file as described in
> http://ffmpeg.org/bugreports.html . It is very unlikely anyone can
> help you without having a sample to look at...
Done!  Turns out only 1080p60 is broken.  While not a standard format,
it would be nice if this was supported.

Files are in:

/MPlayer/incoming/wrzwicky-pobox-com

A copy of the text file is below.

-Bill

ffmpeg has trouble with the 1080p60 (yes, progressive 60 fps) format as
produced by the Sanyo VPC-FH1 camera.  The first second of footage is
corrupted as if the first I-frame was skipped, but the P-frames were
decoded.  It also produce a large number of messages of the form:

[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0xe35360]Invalid timestamps stream=0, pts=0,
dts=1001, size=136
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0xe35360]Invalid timestamps stream=0,
pts=2002, dts=3003, size=25016
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0xe35360]Invalid timestamps stream=0,
pts=4004, dts=5005, size=30896
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0xe35360]Invalid timestamps stream=0,
pts=6006, dts=7007, size=31912

Converted footage looks fine after that first second, and sound is in
sync throughout.  I've tested all of the camera's formats, and only
1080p60 exhibits this problem.

I've uploaded a brief sample that demonstrates the problem.  The file is
named:

    SANY0267.MP4

ffmpeg and ffplay (SVN-r19609), mplayer, and VLC all show the same
problem.  You can see it by using any of those players, or you can
convert the file with this command:

    ffmpeg -i SANY0273.MP4 -target ntsc-dvd 273.mpeg

then use any player to see the result.