[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg Foundation

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Wed Dec 2 00:58:03 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
> We haven't decided on a name
> yet, although people agree that we dislike "FFmpeg Foundation" - if
> you can suggest better names, please do so in this thread.

Today would be a great day to suggest names. We still haven't found
any good one and I'm planning to finish this by sometime next week,
which means I'll probably have to do a vote between the various
proposed names this weekend / early next week.

If you have a great name suggestion, please propose it here. Every
developer (a person with SVN access or regular + recent patch
contributions) may propose names, and to prevent this from becoming
one big mess, I'll ask that every proposed name is "me too'ed" by at
least one more developer.

So far, I have heard the following (these can be considered to be in
the "me too'ed" already-stage):

* Free Media Tech / freemediatech.org
* FFMTech (Foundation for Free Media Technologies)
* FFmedia (Foundation for Free Media)
* OMF (Open Media Foundation)
* FFm.org (Foundation for Free Media)
* FFmpeg Foundation

Please keep in mind that some developers prefer names that do not
explicitely mention FFmpeg, since we'd like to use it for MPlayer and
generic codec-development (Snow - i.e. not FFmpeg-only) also.

Once we have enough proposed names, we'll do a vote and the most
popular will win.

Cheers,
Ronald