[FFmpeg-devel] incoming clean up and diskspace (was: Re: Roundup being migrated)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Feb 14 18:03:32 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 05:51:50PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:10:45 +0100
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > > When the files are sorted out in a reasonable way
> > > and there is still not enough free space, i'll add
> > > more of the unallocated diskspace to that partition
> > > as needed.
> >
> > but where is the relation?
> > the sorting wont free any space up and it may or may not help
> > humans in freeing space up this isnt clear ...
> >
> > the only relation i see is that you will give more space if the
> > sorting happens but not if it does not, what am i missing?
>
> As Reimar said, it's some sort of pressure. I kept repeating
> for years that someone should look at incoming and sort the files.
> It happend one or two times that someone lowered himself to sort
> a few files, but only a few...and incomming kept growing.

i know and i agree about the pressure but it doesnt seem to be
very effective

> After 3 years of watching i'm pretty much fed up with the situation.
> And as one of those responsible for the proper operation of natsuki
> i'm against letting this mess grow any further.
>

> I would sort the files myself, but i'm so much out of touch
> with development that i can hardly judge anything.

have faith in yourself! You can do it

> > I could write a script that automates it but someone would have to
> > review it for security issues also it would have to run some tool
> > like ffmpeg or mplayer on each uploaded file to identify filetype
> > and codectypes, you know running any tool with user provide data is
> > a security issue, so id like to hear first if this is ok or not before
> > i or someone else spends time writing such script ...
>
> I'm not against any script for automation and i trust the developers
> of FFmpeg and MPlayer to have enough intelligence and knowledge
> to avoid the most common mistakes, so that at least for testing,
> and in the first phase no security audit will be necessary.

if i write something ill post it for review here ...

it should pretty easy to write this step by step
i mean first for example a script going over all files and checking if .txt
files exist once a day and what has no .txt and is >24h old is deleted and
logged

While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there
will be no State. -- Vladimir Lenin