[FFmpeg-devel] Reorganisation of incoming/samples collection

Ivo ivop
Mon Feb 16 17:15:55 CET 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009 02:07, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 01:43:17AM +0100, Ivo wrote:
> > * I have not deleted them from incoming yet, awaiting comments in this
> > thread and/or an a-okay to either remove them or symlink them too from
> > incoming/200x-ready-for-archive or something.
>
> i vote for symlinks

I have put them in place. We can always delete them later if they serve no
purpose.

> > * A total of 7.3GB (out of 12GB) has been archived now

BTW This excludes the 50GB currently on samples.mphq ;)

[..]
> > [*] send notes to me! things to note: filename --> issue/bug number or
> > filename --> no issues. With this information, I can add the issue
> > number to the filename and rebuild the symlinks correctly. If you start
> > working on a certain directory, it's preferable if you coordinate it
> > with me to avoid other people duplicating your work. Also, send your
> > notes quickly, even if they are incomplete, to further reduce the risk
> > of wasting time by duplicating work of others.
>
> do you want a ML for incoming/ coordination and work? could also be used
> as dst for some scripts output ...

Yes, I think that's a good idea. How do we go from here to get that list
created? (name? ffmpeg-samples?)

[..]
> > * use plain ASCII for text files (i.e. no Word documents, use vi,
> > notepad instead)
>
> there where word docs on the ftp ? <some smily with really big eyes>

Not that I'm aware of, but better warn them beforehand :) There were some
RTF files though, IIRC.

> > * if there are several (long) log files, you can targz, tarbz2, rar or
> >   (7)zip them together (e.g. <basename>.tar.bz2)
>
> may i suggest that we drop gz in favor of bz2 ?

I do not really care. My script picks up a lot of different accompanying
files (tar{,.gz,.bz2} rar, zip, 7z, log, txt), but if you want to forbid
certain formats because they are difficult to handle on *nix, we can change
the rules.

> > * if there are accompanying bmp, png, jpeg, whatever, images that show,
> > for example, certain frame artifacts, tar, zip, whatever, them too and
> > give the file an identical filename (except for the extension)
>
> this is inconvenient as with that, one no longer can just point ones
> browser to them to take a look

With my browser(s) (Opera, Konqueror) I can just click on the tar.bz2 file,
it opens up a window and then I can click on the image and view it.

I could add some logic to the script to try to determine whether an image is
an accompanying file to another mediafile or it's a sample on its own (i.e.
problem in bmp decoder or something) but I'm not sure yet if I can make
that 100% failure-proof.

--Ivo