[FFmpeg-devel] Need help in getting started

Vitor Sessak vitor1001
Tue Feb 17 20:53:18 CET 2009

Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been a Fedora user for last one year. I am learning C, python,
> C++. Every time, I setup a system ( mine or other's) I remember doing
> $yum install ffmpeg*
>
> I was said that I need this to play audio and video. Now I am
> interested in knowing how ffmpeg works, and how I can contribute
> towards its development.
> Where do I start and how?

1. Read the FFmpeg documentation and learn the basics of using the
command line ffmpeg tool.

2. Understand the difference between libavcodec/libavformat

3. Understand more or less how the source code is organized and learn
how to compile/build it from source code

4. Follow this list for a few weeks to understand how patch submission
works and what we value/do not accept in patches

5. Find a task to start coding (use the wiki page people pointed you
to). Don't be too bold, start with something easy. Read also the FFmpeg
codec/demuxer howtos.

6. Submit your first patch and be prepared for a more or less lengthy
review. Don't worry the following ones will be easier.

-Vitor