[FFmpeg-devel] Fw: [foms] Paper submissions to LCA

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Fri Jul 17 03:58:30 CEST 2009

> screen mode, its mainly the display resolution that matters.
> But decode performance is more directly proportional to bitrate.
> For internet with MP4, I aim at 2 megabit/s for 720p for benchmarking
> purposes.
> Ogg quality/bitrate varies more. ?You can either use the same bitrate and
> accept the quality loss or try to match up the quality (PSNR). ?That varies,
> but probably 3 megabits/s.

3 megabit for 720p with Theora?  Is this a joke?  You might as well
encode at SD with those bitrates; it's going to look terrible.

And PSNR is not indicative of quality unless your brain sees mean
squared error instead of visual quality... mine doesn't, at least.

Also, decode speed is not *that* heavily related to bitrate unless
you're using a format that uses arithmetic coding.

Dark Shikari