[FFmpeg-devel] AAC ALS (lossless) and SLS (scalable lossless)

Alex Converse alex.converse
Fri Mar 20 04:56:35 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Justin Ruggles
<justin.ruggles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex Converse wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Alex Converse <alex.converse at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> At this point ALS has picked up very little steam in the wild and
>>> probably won't be seen in FFmpeg anytime soon. A subset of SLS is
>>> currently getting a push under the name HD-AAC. I imagine if it takes
>>> off FFmpeg will get support for it. Right now we can play the LC core
>>> of SLS files.
>>>

>> To expand on my previous answer a little bit since you were talking
>> about helping to popularize the formats...
>>
>> ALS doesn't do anything particularly interesting in my opinion. It's
>> seems to be a result of NIH syndrome. There is nothing it does that
>> couldn't be solved by a FLAC mapping for MP4 (well except for the fact
>> that FLAC probably doesn't use nearly as many patents owned by the
>> interests that run MPEG). There seems to be no good reason to push to
>> popularize ALS. Though if someone really takes interest in it, there
>> is no format too obscure for FFmpeg.
>
> I don't understand why a FLAC mapping for MP4 would do anything like
> what ALS does? ?While ALS does have many random optional features, it
> gives better compression than FLAC even with only the subset of features
> that are similar to FLAC. ?When you add block switching and arithmetic
> coding it can be competitive with the higher compression lossless codecs
> out there.
>
> I've given up on "popularization" as a motivation for FFmpeg
> development. ?Now I just want us to implement everything we can. :) ?And
> I like ALS more from a theoretical point-of-view rather than wanting to
> see it gain ground as a popular lossless codec.

Looking at some comparisons it does show a lot of promise. Just don't
be too disappointed if it never gains a commercial foothold. But I
suppose the beauty of a lossless codec is that there is no penalty for
transcoding down the road.

>> SLS is a much more interesting format because of it's hybrid WavPack
>> like nature. Now I'm sure you are thinking ALS is like FLAC, SLS is
>> like WavPack what's makes SLS interesting? SLS is interesting because
>> it's lossy layer is already widely proliferated in the wild and there
>> are high quality tools for it. A file that can be quickly stripped to
>> AAC is far more useful on a number of players and devices than a .WV
>> WavPack lossy file.
>>
>> That is why recently I've started work on an HD-AAC (subset of SLS) decoder.
>
> I also think SLS is interesting. ?I just don't know as much about it as
> I do ALS. ?If more people want this to be a project proposal for GSoC, I
> would be willing to study up on it and volunteer to be a mentor unless
> someone who knows more about AAC would rather be mentor. ?Although work
> should not be duplicated if you're already working on a decoder...

SLS has gotten a lot of buzz lately thanks to a big push from FhG
(showing it off at CES, getting Via to put together a licensing
scheme) the new HD-AAC profile.

> Is there documentation somewhere on HD-AAC vs. SLS? ?What does HD-AAC
> leave out?

http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc29/open/29view/29n10159t.doc

Basically it leaves out BSAC from the AAC layer and CBAC from the SLS
layer. It also leaves out pure lossless mode (which I'm writing anyway
for sanity/testing purposes).

--Alex