[FFmpeg-devel] full swscale relicensing to LGPL

Robert Swain robert.swain
Mon Mar 23 09:48:08 CET 2009

On 23/3/09 08:37, Robert Swain wrote:
> On 23/3/09 03:10, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> They dont need swscale, rather they want to donate to the main
>> developers,
>> without any specific development request or focus.
>
> Cool!
>
>> They also want to know how to get off the hall of shame
>
> For this we need to know how we are and have contact with them so that
> we can advise them as to what they're doing wrong.
>
>> As iam neither "the main developers" (iam a single person last i checked)
>> and iam not maintainer of the hall of shame i cant really accept their
>> offer, nor help them.

[...]

> We can all help them if they contact us. Else put them in contact with
> Diego about licensing issues. Without knowing who they are, we can't
> advise them as to what they're doing wrong. They should feel shame for
> not resolving the license violation, which is the purpose of the Hall of
> Shame but, they should not feel shame for contacting us publicly to
> resolve the license violation as it is a positive step.

 From the response on IRC, it seems there may be some confusion, so just
to be absolutely clear. We do not accept monetary bribes from anyone for
their project or anyone else's project to be removed from the Hall of
Shame. That can _only_ be achieved by adhering to our license(s).

>> If their new offer is serious, maybe someone with thicker skin wants
>> to contact them and claim that 20k for ffmpeg and use it for something
>> like bounties for specific tasks.
>
> That would be great, but I've wanted a donation pot for a while. If the
> money goes to a central FFmpeg pot, we'd probably have to register as a
> non-profit organisation or something. This would be a very nice first
> donation.

Also, if no one else will step up to claim it for FFmpeg, I will. The
conversion rate from EUR to GBP is in favour of GBP at the moment. :)

Regards,
Rob