[FFmpeg-devel] Correct settings for MPEG4 part 2 encoder

Robert Swain robert.swain
Tue May 12 13:28:30 CEST 2009

Hello,

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> I am currently trying to put together a GStreamer preset file for the
> ffmpeg MPEG4 part 2 encoder. The problem is that I do not know MPEG4
> part 2 well enough to be able to figure you what values I need to put in
> the various categories. Essentially I am trying to figure out what
> combination of available settings for the encoder would correspond to a
> subset of the official profiles for MPEG4 and also for the relevant DivX
> versions. From the googling I have done I suspect that the DivX versions
> essentially map to various Profiles, like Divx4 maybe being Simple
> Advanced, but I am not sure. Below is where I am at currently, so I
> would love it if anyone on this list who are familiar with the MPEG4
> encoder in ffmpeg could help me fill in the blanks.

Strictly, this is a user question so should be migrated to the -user list.

I'll give you a hint though - take a look at the table near the
beginning of libmpcodecs/ve_xvid4.c from the MPlayer code base. I
implemented MPEG-4/DivX Profiles in there.

Regards,
Rob